Irish Angling Update – 04/10/12
October 4th, 2012 | by Myles Kelly
The end of September sees most trout and salmon anglers hang up their rods for another year. But many trout fisheries and a few salmon rivers are still open, though these too will close on October 12 and of course the best of the pike fishing is yet to come. Sea anglers also still have a lot to look forward to and many charter boats will continue to operate as long as the weather allows.
Bass anglers had a great week especially those on the Copper Coast. The fishing in Waterford seems to be getting better week by week and the reports we feature this week really highlight just what a super destination the area is for the roving shore angler. Porbeagles continue to feature in catches off Co. Antrim and as do blue shark outside Cork Harbour. Charter Skipper Kit Dunne had a great day last week when his father had the honour of catching his boat’s first specimen tope. But the Catch of the Week goes to Ross Macklin for his stone Bass which took a whole mackerel on a 12/0 hook intended for blue shark while fishing out of Union Hall on Joree Jade.
Salmon anglers have a new destination this October. The Munster Blackwater has been added to the list of rivers open until October 12, on a trial basis, and a number of the fisheries (Fishhunt, Blackwater Lodge and Fort William Estate) are offering special deals on the fishing there. In general the season finished rather quietly on those rivers that closed on Sunday but there was a good run of fresh fish on the Suir and anglers on the Moy also did well. The Fane is one of those rivers that stays open until October 12 every year and fishing there is reported as fishing well with salmon to 16lb landed.
While most trout rivers and loughs have closed there is still a chance to fish for wild brown trout at venues such as Loughs Ennell, Owel, Sheelin and O’Flynn as well as some lakes and rivers in Kerry, Donegal and the East. After October 12 many will turn to rainbow trout fisheries which are fishing well at the moment.
A group of French anglers fishing in Leitrim are having some of the best fishing in their lives at the moment. The group of four had 152 pike over the first 4 days of their holiday. Some good pike fishing has also been reported on the Suck with pike to 19.5lb landed by a visiting angler from Dublin.
Coarse anglers report good tench fishing in Leitrim and Roscommon. A group of UK anglers on Lough Derg had some really exciting bream fishing and reckon they could have done even better if they had come geared to fish through the night. Andy Pollard from Gloucester won the 32nd Cootehill Fesitval which was fished by 93 anglers and despite blustery conditions early in the week that made angling difficult the total catch reached 3040kg.
Probably the best all round report we got this week was from angling guide Pat McLoughlin, who, fishing with his son, had a memorable weekend which produced 10 river pike to 17lb, 6 trout to 8ozs, 1 1lb perch and 6 salmon between 5 and 8lb one 18lber lost.
Tight lines especially in Ireland,
Catch, Photo, Release
Salmon fishing reports
- A busy final week on the Moy, as the 2012 season catch exceeds last year
- A quiet end to the season on the Ballisodare Fishery
- End of season report from the Fortland Fishery, River Easkey
- They Think its All Over but the Fane is Still Fishing Well
- Some nice sea trout fishing reported from Lough Currane as the salmon season comes to close.
- River Feale by Paddy Halpin
- Fort William Fishery catches and releases their first salmon in October
- Suir salmon anglers finish with a flourish
- Final Salmon Fest of the 2012 Season for Gerard and Pat on the Kells Blackwater
- Salmon fishing finished on the Laune for another year
- Big salmon taking well on the Suir
Trout fishing reports
- Rainbows on top at Carton House Fishery
- Lough Sheelin provides the sport and the fish for the seasoned anglers
- Last week on the Rye Water fishes with trout to 3lb on nymphs
- Two end of season competition reports from Lough Conn
- Angling report for the Little Brosna, Camcor River and Pallas Lake
- Midland Trout Angling Report by Dermot Broughan
- Derravaragh worth a cast before closing day on October 12
- Good end of season fishing reported from Lough Lene.
- “Large and plentiful” New Ross brothers land 5 fish at Carrigavantry
Sea angling reports
- Specimen tope a Dunne deal for Wicklow Boat Charters
- Stone bass and blue big blues for anglers at Union Hall
- Copper Coast copperfastens its reputation as a bass mecca
- More porbeagle for Hamish Currie’s Predator II
- From Bass, Blue Shark, Gurnard to Garfish Cork Harbour has it all in abundance
- Waterford coastline has come alive with 11lb Bass for Ger
- Pollack, ballan and flounder made it an enjoyable afternoon for the South East angler
- Ouick moving sprats catch the September Bass in Waterford
Coarse angling reports
- Bigger baits produce bigger bags of tench in Roscommon
- Lithuanian Go’n'Catch match at Drumlona
- Good bream fishing for UK anglers at Whitegate on Lough Derg
- Some good catches in blustery conditions at the Cootehill Festival
- Bob Roberts on why he loves coarse fishing in Ireland and pike on the fly
- A fine 6lb+ Trout for an angler in Moyvore
Pike fishing reports
- 152 pike for 4 French anglers in Leitrim
- Pike to 19.5 lb. reported from the River Suck at Athleague
- Pike angling news from Lough Ree by Michael Flanagan
- Exciting Esox Angling for Jonathan, Gerard and Pat
- Strategies for sea trout – Irish Times
- Clear river vegetation call – Leinster Leader
- ‘Team Emerger’ wins second America Cup tourney – Dickensheet.com
- Decline in salmon may close Feale – Irish Examiner
- GAA club told to halt building wall over flood fears – Irish Examiner
- Angler finds finger missing for three months in the belly of a fish – Irish Independent
This post is in: Weekly update