Irish Angling Update – 08/03/12
March 8th, 2012 | by Myles Kelly
The lovely spring weather continues and though it is sometimes cold, conditions are generally good for all angling activity in freshwater and at sea. Water levels are a bit low around the country for good salmon fishing but a few fish were reported. The best fishery in the past week was the River Drowes where there was consistent fishing with some lovely fresh fish caught. Down in Kerry, there were four fish recorded on the River Flesk and Hughie Reid caught his first ever salmon on Lough Currane. Well known angling guide, John Scanlan caught a fine 11 lb. fish on the River Feale. Other fisheries to report fish were Melvin, Delphi and there was a nice 12 lb. fish from the lower Kilmurray beat of the Munster Blackwater. Two salmon were reported from the River Moy in Ballina and the first salmon of the season was taken on Carrowmore Lake.
There were few reports from the sea this week but Chris Logan caught his first ever skate fishing with charter skipper Hamish Currie out from Red Bay. It weighed 153 lb. and it is our Catch of the Week for the lovely photo of the great fish and a very happy Chris. There is a fund-raising competition this weekend for the 2012 Ireland Boat Angling Team going to France later in the year, and details of contacts and entry at Cobh are in the report.
There were two major coarse competitions on in Co. Fermanagh last weekend where a group of Juniors had good catches of small roach at the Waterways Junior Classic at the Lakelands Forum in Enniskillen. There was another leg of the senior float only competition on the Roslea loughs near Clones on Sunday last and some nice catches were reported.
There was plenty of trout fishing reported from around the country this week. Down in Waterford, the two reservoirs Knockaderry and Carrigavantry got off to a good start with some fine brown trout up to 5 lb. along with good catches of Rainbows. Over in the west wetfly fishing was very good for anglers fishing on Lough Mask and on Corrib, the first signs of duckfly were seen. There was a report of early sedge hatches on Lough Melvin. On Lough Conn, there was some good flyfishing for the few anglers who have ventured out. The lough at the Eclipse Centre near Kenmare came alive in the mild weather with hatches of Duckfly bringing some nice trout to 2 lb. on the fly. In the midlands, plenty of browns and rainbows were encountered on Lough Lene near Collinstown in Co. Westmeath. The season opened brightly on the River Fane in Co. Louth and many brown trout were caught and released on fly by anglers using New Zealand style.
The Hooked Live show is on this weekend at the Citywest Hotel. There is plenty to see and do at the show and it is on Saturday and Sunday Check the website for a full list of events at www.hooked.ie
You can listen into an angling update report given by me on the Seascapes programme going out on air on Friday the 9th of March on RTE 1 at 10.30pm and also on their website at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/seascapes/
I am on leave for the next two weeks returning Wednesday the 28th of March 2012. Please send in any angling reports to our webmaster, Myles Kelly in my absence at email@example.com
Tight lines especially in Ireland
Angling Information Officer.
Catch, Photo, Release
Salmon fishing reports
- Dropping water on the Drowes but a few salmon about
- Four salmon reported from the River Flesk.
- Hughie Reid lands his first salmon ever of 9.25 lb. from Lough Currane.
- Cold and wintry on Melvin only one salmon for the week
- Delphi salmon finally take, Waddington style fly does the business
- 12lb salmon reported from Lower Kilmurray, Munster Blackwater
- First salmon of the season confirmed on Carrowmore Lake
- Two spring salmon landed in Ballina on the 6/3/11
- 11lb springer caught on the river Feale
Sea angling reports
Coarse angling reports
- Good match fishing reported from the Roslea Lakes.
- Junior anglers enjoy goog catches of small fish at the Waterways Junior Classic on the River Erne.
Pike fishing reports
- Lovely pike of 25 lb. 4 oz for Kevin Lyons on the River Shannon.
- Good ‘Leap Year’ Pike Fishing Reported from South Armagh
Trout fishing reports
- Super Brown and Rainbow Trout fishing reported from Carrigavantry and Knockaderry Reservoirs.
- Early sedges on Melvin should improve trout fishing
- Good Rainbow Trout fishing reported from the Cashel Trout Fishery
- Wet fly doing well on Mask for trout anglers
- More ferox reports from Corrib as Duck Fly make their first appearance
- Irish Trout Fly Fishing Association youths fund-raising competition
- Balmy weather brings on browns at Eclipse in Kerry
- Lough na Leibe update
- Lough Conn begins the season with mixed weather yet good fishing for some
- Plenty of ‘bows and browns on Lough Lene opening day
- Good Wild Brown Trout Fishing on the River Fane on Opening Day
- OPEN FLY COMPETITION SUNDAY MARCH 11th
- Trinity students go fishing in Wicklow – Wicklow People
- Launch Of Balbriggan Maritime Museum – North County Leader
- Trout body reports – The Irish Times
This post is in: Weekly update