Irish Angling Update – 11/10/12
October 11th, 2012 | by Paul Bourke
The last week has seen a real change to autumnal and even winter weather conditions prevailing throughout the country and with many of our game angling fisheries closed there was a little less angling activity. Of course, it is noticeable this week that there was more activity among pike anglers and plenty of good action too on many waters.
The salmon season came to an end last week on all waters except the Cork Blackwater where there is a new extension to the season until the 12th of October with catch and release allowed. Up in Donegal, there was lovely salmon fishing reported from the River Eany. On the east coast, there was some steady salmon fishing recorded with fish up to 13 lb. recorded as the season comes to an end. On Lough Currane, there were some fair catches of sea trout reported but nothing big of note. Over in Connemara, there was a huge number of salmon recorded on the last day of the season at Delphi where all legal methods were used. 138 salmon were reported for the season at Kylemore where 12 salmon were recorded in the final week. At Inagh it was a great season for sea trout with the best numbers recorded since 1989. There was also a good final week on the Erriff where 28 salmon and 44 sea trout were recorded.
The trout season is only open on a number of fisheries and at Pallas Lake in the midlands, some lovely rainbows were reported in the past week. On Lough Owel, end of season competitions took place and the best reported fish was a lovely trout of 4 lb. 14 oz. Good rainbow trout fishing was reported at Carrigavantry in west Cork and at the Carton House Fishery near Maynooth. At Lough Sheelin there was a big number of anglers fishing the late season competitions and some superb big trout were recorded. The two big loughs in the west, Corrib and Mask did not see much angling pressure in the last days of the season but anglers are hoping for another great Mayfly season next year.
Minister Paul Kehoe launched the new Hook Bass angling festival to be held at the end of the month. In Cork Harbour, there was more bass reported for clients fishing with Eire Bass and bass taken from the shore. In Kerry at the annual Daiwa Pairs shore competition, there was some super painted Ray recorded during the competition. Up in Red Bay another two fine Porbeagle Sharks were recorded. Reports from Donegal indicate a great sea angling season for most angler’s deep sea fishing.
There was some excellent coarse angling reported for a group of Polish anglers from the Fishmaniak club at Glasshouse Lough in Co. Cavan. More big hybrids were recorded on the Lee Reservoirs in the past week.
As stated there was plenty more pike angling activity last week and there was a pike international competition held last weekend where Ireland triumphed over a British pike team fishing on venues in the Monaghan area. We will have more coverage and photos in next week’s update. Down in Lough Derg and the River Shannon, there was some fine pike reported for boat and shore anglers. The Predator Tour pike competition came to an end and good pike, perch and trout were recorded. One of the winners, Tomi Kurman wins our Catch of the Week with the best pike of 107.5 cm recorded in the Predator Tour competition. On the Inniscarra Reservoir, there was some super pike fishing reported and up in Monaghan, there was pike galore for a group of Belgium anglers fishing with angling guides Peadar and Tom.
Tight lines especially in Ireland,
Catch, Photo, Release
Salmon fishing reports
- Nice end of season salmon fishing reported from the River Eany in Co. Donegal.
- Salmon Angling Winding Up for Anglers on the River Fane
- Some sea trout fishing reported from Lough Currane as season is closing on the 12th of October
- Delphi finishes on a high note and gives a great Spring offer to anglers
- Kylemore almost makes 2011′s fine total
- A great year for sea trout on Inagh
- Season ends on Erriff
- Making the most of the Salmon fishing extension on the Munster Blackwater
Trout fishing reports
- Nice Rainbow trout fishing reported from Pallas Lake.
- Lough Owel season end of season competition results
- Hungry rainbows take the bait on Carrigavantry
- Rubberleg goldheads turn on trout at the Carton House Fishery
- Derravaragh competition results outshine previous years and stream enhancement project completed
- Sheelin shines through the mist and the fog to be crowned king of the lakes
- Memorable mayfly was the season highlight on Corrib
- A quiet finish to a great season on Mask
Sea angling reports
- Launch of the new Hook Bass Angling Festival in south west Co. Wexford.
- Nice bass fishing for a new naval recruit fishing with Eire Bass
- Some great fishing for Painted Ray at the Daiwa Pairs competition on Banna Strand
- Fishing for flounders with lures – a challenge worth trying says Ullcatch
- Two nice porbeagle shark for Cornwall group in Antrim but fishing beginning to slow down
- Bass anglers in Cork Harbour do well from boat and shore
- Down on the jetty the fishing is good
- 2012 sea fishing improves as the season closes in Donegal
- Gilvarry takes the honours in premier Connacht shore competition
- Safe fishing is good fishing for the Waterford crew
Coarse angling reports
- Fishmaniaks pull an all nighter on Glasshouse
- Stunning, fin and scale perfect hybrids with a metallic gold-bronze hue that glows in the Cork evening sunlight
Pike fishing reports
- Good pike fishing reported from Lough Derg and the River Shannon.
- This pike made up for the one that got away !
- “A savage day’s pike fishing” to be had at Inniscarra Angling Centre in Cork says pleased angler.
- Pike Galore for Belgian Anglers with Peadar and Tom
- Great pike, Perch and trout fishing recorded at the PredatorTour competition on Lough Derg.
- Dappy: Fishing is everything to me – Xposé
- Coveney: Dumping of over-quota fish to end – Irish Examiner
- Life in Darndale ponds! Irish Times
- Dipper strikes a chord – Irish Examiner
- A Salmon Oasis With Zen Factor – Forbes
- Man Prosecuted for Illegal fishing on Mulkear River – Afloat.ie
This post is in: Weekly update