Irish Angling Update, 25/11/11
November 24th, 2011 | by Myles Kelly
The weather in late November has remained generally mild in the past fortnight with some windy and wet conditions and there was a fair bit of angling activity at sea and on inland waters. Water levels have generally dropped now on the loughs in the Cavan Leitrim area and in the Shannon catchment.
Along the east coast there was plenty of sea angling activity mainly on the shore with many winter beach competitions taking place and good catches of flounders and some codling featuring. Some mullet were reported from north Dublin but mullet are few in number and virtually gone at this time of year. There was some bass reported from Wexford but few in number. Many anglers are turning their attention to big flounder at this time of year in south Wexford and many fish over 2 lb. were recorded. Well known Dublin angler, Brian Cooke who is pro of the Irish Federation of sea anglers caught a lovely specimen flounder in south Wexford using peeler crab and this is our Catch of the Week. In west Cork there was some nice bass taken from rock marks in the Beara peninsula on lures. Some codling were also taken by shore anglers in the area. Up in red bay in Co. Antrim, a group of local anglers went fishing with charter skipper Hamish Currie and they fished just off the Mull of Kintyre and took some nice Congers, Spurdog and Ling.
On the coarse angling scene, the Erne winter float only league continued on the Roslea lakes in Co. Fermanagh and good catches of Roach were recorded on the day and fishing was generally good for this time of year. The big shoals of roach and hybrids are moving inshore on Lough Ramor near Virginia but anglers are reminded that there is a byelaw banning the use of keepnets.
Young anglers from all parts of Dublin enjoyed themselves at the annual Dublin Angling Initiative Rainbow trout fishing competition which was held recently at the Angling for all Fishery in Aughrim in Co. Wicklow. Many fish were caught by the big crowd of anglers and prizes were generously donated by fishing tackle wholesaler, Millards of Dublin. Down in Co. Kildare the good rainbow trout fishing continues at the Curragh Springs Fishery with fish to 12 lb. recorded. The Cashel Fishery in Derry continues to fish well for rainbows and good catches were reported in the last week.
The good pike fishing continues and a film crew out on Lough Derravarragh enjoyed good action with a team of anglers recording fish up to 18 lb. Up in Lough Muckno in Castleblayney, a French delegation visiting the town sampled some of the pike fishing on the lough. In Roscommon, the Irish polish fishing club fishmaniak fished a lough and several big fish were recorded including fish to 109 cm which was estimated at 25 lb. Blessington Lake is now open to fishing and several good fish were reported including a fine fish of 20 lb. With the mild weather set to continue according to Met Eireann for another week, there are plenty of opportunities for anglers to enjoy the best of Irish Angling,
Tight lines especially in Ireland,
Angling Information Officer
Catch, Photo, Release
Coarse angling reports
- Good coarse fishing on Lough Ramor reported at Virginia.
- Good coarse fishing for competitors fishing the Erne Anglers Float only match in Co. Fermanagh.
Pike fishing reports
- Lovely Pike of 109 cm on a lure for Polish angler from the Fishmaniak club in a lough in the Roscommon area.
- French delegation visiting Co. Monaghan sample pike fishing on Lough Muckno in Castleblayney.
- Derravaragh to shine on Failte Ireland tourism video.
Rainbow trout reports
- Good Rainbow Trout fishing reported from the Cashel Fishery.
- Great day at the Angling for all facility for young anglers fishing the annual Dublin Angling Initiative trout angling competition.
- Rainbow Trout to 12 lb. reported from the Curragh Springs Fishery.
Sea angling reports
- Good Conger, Spurdog and Ling reported from Red Bay in Co. Antrim.
- Nice bass fishing on lures in the Beara area of west Cork
- Martin Howlin wins Kilmore Open shore angling competition
- Wexford beach championships won by Dave Roe
- Flounders including specimens reported from the Wexford area.
This post is in: Weekly update