Lough O'Flynn, Co. Roscommon
OPEN SEASON: March 1st - October 12th
Lough O'Flynn is a 300 acre rich limestone lake located in Co Roscommon just north of Ballinlough village. There are good stocks of wild and stocked brown trout averaging about 1.5 lbs with fish to 3 to 4lbs sometimes caught. Lough O'Flynn is renowned for its prolific hatches of Mayfly and some very good fishing can be had from mid May to early or sometimes mid July on dry patterns such as Green Drake, Spent Gnat and a variety of Wulffs. The Mayfly season often runs well beyond the early part of June. Later in the season from mid June onwards the sedge season in an important period. In August and September anglers dapping a Daddy Long Legs and grasshopper can get good results.
Traditional wet flies work well on O'Flynn. These include Sooty Olive, Golden Olive, Claret and Mallard, Dabblers, Watson's Fancy, Dunkeld just to mention a few.
DAILY BAG LIMIT
Artificial fly and spinning only, boat and shore fishing.
PERMISSION TO FISH
This fishery is part of the Midland Fisheries Group of managed waters and anglers require a fishing permit (ticket charge) to fish here.
RATES FOR 2013 are
- Adult Annual €40.00;
- Pensioner Annual €20.00;
- Juvenile Annual €15.00
- Juvenile 1 Day €2.00
- Day Permit €12.00
- Visitors 21 Day: €20.00
- Anglers can only fish one rod per angler.
- Rods must not be left unattended.
- All under sized fish must be returned to the water with as little injury as possible.
- The Management reserve the right to refuse and revoke a permit to anyone violating, these regulations or acting in a manner detrimental to the fishery, fishing or the surrounding countryside.
- Anglers who are found to have acted in an 'unsporting manner' may have their permit revoked
Other Useful information
There is good public access to the lake on the southern shore with a boat harbour and pier and spacious car park. This is situated across from the Ballinlough Railway Station about 1 mile from Ballinlough Village. Nearest villages and towns - Ballinlough (1.6 kms), Castlerea (10 kms), Boyle (29 kms), Roscommon (40 kms). Tuam (34 kms), Ballyhaunis (10 kms).
Guides and Instructors in the Shannon Region
- Guides and Instructors in Co. Clare
- Guides and Instructors in Co. Tipperary
- Guides and Instructors in Co. Cavan
- Guides and Instructors in Co. Westmeath
- Guides and Instructors in Co. Offaly
- Guides and Instructors in Co. Roscommon