IFI is aware of the recent agreements at EU level which aim to introduce new bag limits etc for Bass angling.
- Catch and release from 01 January to 28 February 2020
- 2 fish in any 24 hour period 01 March to 30 November
- Catch and release 01 December to 31 December 2019
- A minimum size limit of 42cm applies.
- It is prohibited to retain on board, relocate, tranship or land European seabass caught in Irish waters.
Anglers are advised that the EU regulation states that the proposed bag limits (and operational dates for same) are without prejudice to more stringent domestic arrangements which may be put in place.
This leaves an option for domestic authorities (including Ireland) to impose more strict limitations but not less restrictive ones. IFI is discussing matters with its parent Department as regards what limitations will apply to recreational bass fishing for 2020 in the context of stock conservation.