Open for 2021 – Brown tag fishery
The Owenea River runs for some 13 miles draining Lough Ea in the west of the Croaghs, into Loughrosmore Bay at Ardara. The Owenea is primarily a spate river taking around 1 to 2 days to run off after a good flood. This is one of the best salmon rivers in the county. The river has a run of spring salmon, grilse, sea trout and has a resident stock of small brown trout. The fishery consists of 9 beats on the bottom 8 miles of the river with good pools spread throughout the whole river. The beats cater for 3, 4 or 5 rods depending on the particular beat. The river has a lot of ‘nice fly water’ with the majority of fish being caught by this method. When in condition the river is one of the best in the country for grilse. The main grilse run starts in July with salmon right to the end of the season.
There are additional facilities for anglers, including toilets and hospitality at the angling centre as well as access for disabled anglers along a section of beat 3. There is an ongoing programme of maintenance and upgrading of access, angling structures, habitat restoration etc.
N.B. Shrimp and Prawn are strictly prohibited.
Beat maps have been prepared by IFI for the Owenea fishery. Click on the thumbnails below to print a high quality map.
- Owenea Newsletter 2019
- Owenea Newsletter 2018
- Owenea Newsletter 2017
- Owenea Newsletter 2016
- Owenea Newsletter 2014 [.pdf, 1.34 MB]
- Owenea Newsletter 2013 [.pdf, 1.34 MB]
- Owenea Newsletter 2012 [.pdf, 3 MB]
- Owenea Newsletter 2011 [.pdf,735KB]
- Owenea Newsletter 2010 [.pdf, 3 MB]
- Owenea Newsletter 2009 [.pdf, 1.16 MB]
- Owenea Newsletter 2008 [.pdf, 1.16 MB]
The season is from 1st April to 30th September inclusive.
Permits are available as
- Adult day permits €40
- Juvenile day permits €20
- Weekly permits €180
- Juvenile Weekly permit €80
Owenea Angling Centre, Glenties Hatchery, Glenties, Co. Donegal. Tel: (074) 9551141. Fax: (074) 9551444.
Salmon licences are available from:
- The Owenea Angling Centre, Glenties, Co. Donegal.
Tel: (074) 9551141
- IFI, Station road, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal.
Tel: (071) 9851435.
Bookings can be taken in advance on full payment of rod permit. Bookings are non-transferable. Rods will be assigned beats on a ‘first come first served basis’ and will be rotated through beats thereafter if demand is high. Visa and MasterCard facilities are available.
- Buy online: https://permits.fishinginireland.info/product-category/donegal/owenea/
- Owenea Angling Centre, Glenties Hatchery, Glenties, Co. Donegal.
Tel: (074) 9551141. Fax: (074) 9551444.
Off-season information available through
IFI Ballyshannon, Station road, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal.
Tel: (071) 9851435. Fax: (071) 9851816.