Licences and Permits
Anglers are legally required to be in possession of a licence when fishing for salmon or sea trout. Licences can be purchased from a number of sources, including fishing tackle shops, IFI offices and some fisheries.
Buy your salmon licence online
Using this map please select the area in which you live or expect to do the majority of your fishing and then buy your licence in 4 easy steps.
Or select from this list:
- South Western River Basin
- Shannon River Basin
- North Western River Basin
- Western River Basin - Galway
- Western River Basin - Ballina
- Eastern River Basin
- South Eastern River Basin
On purchasing a licence anglers receive a copy of the Salmon Angling Regulations which provides information on bag limits, mandatory catch and release fisheries, open and closed fisheries, gill tags and how to return your completed logbook and tags. Licences can be purchased for periods from 1 day to 1 year.
Salmon Licence Fees (2013)
- All Districts (i.e. all Regions) Annual: €100
- Juvenile (under the age of 18 years) All Districts Annual: €10
- One District, Annual: €56
- All districts, 21 Days: €40
- All districts, 1 Day: €20
- Foyle Area Extension: €80
- Special local licence: €24
Foyle Area Extension Licence
An angler who has purchased a Lough Agency License and wishs to fish in the Republic, an additional ‘extension’ license, the Foyle Area Extension License, would have to be purchased at €80.
Special Local Licence
A special local licence is a salmon angling licence to fish special tidal waters as follows;
- Erne - Ballyshannon
A licence does not confer the right to fish; a fishing permit is usually required and must be obtained separately. A fishing permit generally costs from €20 to €50 per day. Some of the more exclusive fisheries can be more expensive.