Weather-wise April was a pretty miserable month and May open on dull note also. However, there was some welcome warmth in the last couple of days and the North Easterly winds which have characterised the conditions for the last couple of weeks finally eased. While the winds affected just about all coasts and corners of the country, the rains were either too heavy where there were already floods or absent from places crying out for rain.
Fiachra Fairtlogh fished until midnight on Lough Egish with a deadbait and was rewarded with a nice pike of 14 lb. 8 oz. Well known angler Stephen Gibbons and two friends fished a new venue in the midlands with deadbaits and caught 17 pike in a day with 12 of them in the high teens and three over twenty pounds. A nice three day fishing festival will be held at Lough Gowna from 5th to 7th of May
Bass fishing is going well on the south coast both from the shore and from the boat where in Cork harbour, soft plastic lures are working well from small boats and are producing good sport for bass. There was some good bass reports from the Wexford area and resident angling guide Jim Hendrick has given us some excellent tips on fishing for the species in this week’s update. Jim also brings our attention to the Wexford Biodiversity draft plan and Bass conservation plan. “Rockhunter” reports that shore fishing from the beach produced some nice bass on crab, rag and razorfish on the south coast. Recently, anglers deep sea fishing with Siegy & Billi Grabher from Valentia Fishing had superb pollack fishing along with ling, cod and a range of smaller species.
Philip Maher reports that there was salmon fishing picked up briefly on the River Suir on Sunday last where twelve fish were reported with a best fish of 18 lb. Water levels continue to be low on the River Drowes and some salmon were reported for the week but more rain is needed to improve the fishing. The salmon fishing on nearby Lough Melvin was poor as result with only one fish recorded for the week. Connemara rivers also are very low but both the Delphi and Kylemore fisheries reported fish despite the conditions. Water levels at the Galway Weir were low but the prevailing winds pushed extra water through the gates and salmon to 16lb were taken on spinner. Despite variable levels and floods on the Munster Blackwater a few salmon have been taken. Mike Walsh fished the river on Monday and caught two (one of which weighed 15lb) and lost 2. There was good water levels and an occasional big salmon taken on the River Feale last week including a fine 20 lb. fish for Con McCarthy.
Andrew Ryan reported that the conditions suit Iron Blue duns for trout fishing at Clonanav on the River Suir and tributaries. There were good hatches of flies but trout fishing was still very poor on Lough Melvin. There were good report of Trout fishing getting better on the River Bandon. Spiders, hoppers and bloodworm were the successful patterns of flies for rainbows at the Cashel Fishery. Angling ghillie Liam Stenson reported on very good trout fishing on the River Suir at Hollycross. He also reported good hatches of Large Dark Olives and Iron Blue Duns drawing the attention of the River Sullane Trout producing good fishing in Co. Cork.
There was some good catches reported at the weekend coarse angling matches from Lough Muckno and the Ballybay area. Brian Bohan reports that most lakes in the Upper Shannon are fishing well and that some venues are fishing better in the evenings.
Fisheries Awareness week
This year Fisheries Awareness week runs from the 12th to the 20th of May and looks set to be a huge success with 70 events in 22 counties. There are events dedicated to sea angling, pike angling, trout angling and coarse angling and salmon angling as well as family fun days, school days and more. With so much going on there’s sure to be something happening near you, so why not find out more at www.faw.ie.
Finally all anglers could take a leaf out of Gerry McStraw and the Carlow coarse anglers book who crossed county boundaries and angling codes to help clean up a section of the River Dodder in Dublin.
Tight lines to all,
Angling Information Officer.
Catch, Photo, Release
All the headlines…
Coarse angling reports
- Drumshandra throws up some nice nets of Roach
- Youths do us proud in the Inter-provincial league
- Vinnie Walsh wins the float and feeder national coarse team qualifiers on the River Barrow.
- Killeshandra Coarse Angling Festival 2012 from 7th to 10th May
- Weekend Coarse Angling Match Reports from Muckno and Ballybay
- Only a little perch on the Inny, fish slow to move up river.
- IFI Sponsors European Police Angling Championships Castleblayney
Pike fishing reports
- Pike Success for the Flying Dutchmen
- 3 day fishing festival at Lough Gowna from 5th to 7th May
- Lough Egish pike no Cinderella story
- Triple 20’s for pike angler in midlands recently, slow since
Salmon fishing reports
- Salmon Battles on the Boyne
- Connemara salmon rivers need more rain!
- Salmon to 16lb on spinner at the Galway Fishery, perfect fly water now
- Good salmon early in the week on Carrowmore Lake before the gales spoiled the fishing.
- Great improvement in salmon fishing on the Ballisodare River with many of the fish released.
- Salmon to 16.25 lb. reported from the River Moy
- Salmon to 15 lb. reported from the Rivers Lee and Ilen in Co. Cork.
- There are reports of a 20 lb. salmon caught on the River Laune on beat 3 and good brown trout fishing reported.
- Despite the gloomy fishing weather salmon fishing is pretty good at the Delphi Fishery.
- Good salmon fishing reported from the Lough Currane system
- Great turn out for Clonmel & District Anglers Club Demo day
- Sunday was salmon day on the Suir
- Harsh conditions on Lough Melvin but forecast for rise in temp
- Low attendance and low levels on the Drowes but 8lb salmon caught
- Some nice salmon caught on the fly on Lough Currane
- Good water and an occasional big salmon on the Feale
Sea angling reports
- A fine 6lb Bass from a favourite shore spot in Cork Harbour
- Eight cod and a dozen ling on the Ling Bank, Donegal Bay
- Species Hunt/Cod Hunt/Conger Hunt at Cobh May 19th /20th
- A Bass for Sean in Castlemaine
- Sound bass fishing advice from angling guide Jim Hendrick
- Angler feels that blustery offshore winds drive fertilised eggs out to sea
- Farewell to April and bad fishing, Hello to May in Cork
- Wexford Biodiversity draft plan and Bass conservation
- Black clouds, brown water and a flash of Silver…for our Wexford man
- Weed causes a problem for trolling in Cork Harbour
- Soft plastics a firm favourite for Cork Harbour bass anglers
- 67 cm Bass weighing 6 lb. plucked from the sea before the storm
- Great sea fishing off Valentia
Trout fishing reports
- Weather is playing havoc with fishing on Sheelin
- Improving hatches of Mayfly bring better sport for trout anglers on Lough Arrow.
- The Beautiful 19′ Anglers Fancy Boat goes to Paddy Ward
- Qualifier competition for 2013 ITFFA youths internatinal team held at Lough Owel
- Mayfly Up at Emy Lough in Co. Monaghan
- Annalee river provides excellent fish for the ITFFA Ulster River Championship
- Hawthorn heaven on the Lagan
- Lough Mask Producing Excellent Sport
- Gerard Casey takes 1st prize for trout at Mountmellick
- Gerry and the Carlow gang help clean the Dodder
- 3 day fishing festival at Lough Gowna from 5th to 7th May
- Conditions suit Iron Blue duns for trout fishing at Clonanav
- Good hatches of flies but trout fishing very poor on Lough Melvin
- Yea man, Trout fishing in Bandon !
- Spiders, hoppers and bloodworm flies sucessful for rainbows at the Cashel Fishery.
- T’is to be Suir a great river for the trout !
- Large Dark Olives and Iron Blue Duns draw the attention of the Sullane Trout
- Lough Derg anglers urged to profile catches – The Clare Champion
- Man Talk – The Irish Independent
- Angling…with Brian Russell – Portadown Times
- Good show in Killarney – The Irish Times
- Report Calls for Fish Farms to be Sited Offshore
- Ballywalter Game Fair – Year of the Salmon & Trout
- Pre FAW event at Carrickmacross on 4th & 5th May
- Waterford airport new Flybes make it easy for anglers to avail of our wonderful fishing here
- Saltwater fly fisher wanted for a movie