Anglers in Ireland enjoyed fine, settled weather in the last few days. After the blustery and wet conditions that dogged anglers for much of last week it was a welcome and unseasonable change. Although a little cooler there were a few days when it felt positively warm and unfortunately for some anglers, just too calm…
Last weekend saw Lanesborough playing host to the 9th World Championships for Predator Boat Fishing with Lures. There were 17 countries competing for the honours from South Africa to Kazakshtan. With two days of flat calm conditions the skills of these world class anglers were put to the test and the expertise of Team Ukraine on the international angling circuit was shown as they took first position on the podium. A steady performance from Belarus over the two days secured them the Silver with Lithuania coming in for Bronze. Team Ireland had the 5th largest number of fish caught in the competition, but the combined length was only enough for a 10th position finish. There were some good fish landed during the Championships and the Italian team had the longest pike – 102cm, a good fish but only hinting at the potential Lough Ree had to offer had conditions been more suitable.
Other pike anglers in Ireland fared better when it came to big fish. Aiden Flaherty had a super pike last Friday. This beauty from the Suck weighed in at 32lb 4oz and is out Catch of the Week. Good pike fishing was also reported in the Longford area where fish of up to 27lb have been landed. Pike anglers report lots of activity in the Carrigallen area while at Carrick on Shannon the Polish Fishmaniak club enjoyed a predator competition where 36 pike and 4 perch were measured and released.
Last week the Fermoy Autumn Festival was began in near perfect conditions on the Munster Blackwater. There were daily catches in excess of 40lbs but towards the end of the week conditions changed and the eventual winner was Peter Hyde, Leeds with 73lb 6oz. While it was nearly all dace at Fermoy, in the Longford area it was all bream and visiting anglers Nigel Baker and Graham Lewis from the UK had up to 110lb of bream a day fishing with Kevin Lyons. Pre-baiting was the key.
Bass fishing continues to make headlines in the sea angling scene. Sid Jones, fishing on the east coast, had some great fish on hard plastics in the dark – including 2 specimens. The Copper Coast has also been fishing well with hard lures, soft plastics and fly all accounting for fish. Cork Harbour is continuing to produce enjoyable bass fishing but it can be very hit and miss now as the fish begin their autumn migration. East coast charter fishing isn’t over yet as anglers out with Wicklow skipper Kit Dunne had 20 bullhuss to 13lb and a conger. The Irish Kayak Angling championships fished its second last event at Red Strand, Cork. Perfect conditions made for enjoyable paddling and good fishing. Despite an ebbing tide the anglers were busy all day and some early cod were landed. Charter boat anglers fishing from Courtmacsherry had good fishing too. Blue sharks, porbeagle, decent ling, pollack and cod all featured in the catches of 2 groups of anglers from Belgium and Dublin.
Loughanure Anglers have gave a great welcome to the Irish Ladies Fly-Fishing Association who visited Annagry, in Co Donegal last Saturday 8th October. The anglers had a brilliant days fishing and top rod wasJulie Gerry with 12 fish for 314 cms. Well done to all. As Lough Sheelin wound down for another year the fishing was consistently tough coming up to October 12, with wind or the lack of it resulting in challenging conditions that continually tested the lake’s fly anglers. Nevertheless there were good numbers of fishermen out to enjoy these last days and some fine trout to 6lb were landed before it all finished until next year.
The last of the salmon and sea trout fisheries that remained open closed on Wednesday, 12 October. After the floods and high winds abated the last day of the season on Lough Currane saw only 3 boats on the water, but they had some decent fishing as there were plenty of juniors in taking mood and few better sea trout were also landed. In other salmon news the 2015 Wild Salmon and Sea Trout Statistics are available to download from http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Salmon-Management/wild-salmon-and-sea-trout-statistics.html
As we go to press there is a rainfall warning for the south west and a small craft warning on coasts from Roches Point to Loop Head to Erris Head. Very unsettled weather is forecast for the rest of the weekend and into Monday but drier weather looks like a possibility for later in the week.
Don’t forget your waterproof trousers if you’re going out…
Safe fishing to all and tight lines, especially here in Ireland.
If you have an angling story to share with the Irish Angling Update please send it to [email protected].
Salmon fishing reports
Trout fishing reports
- Good angling activity as the last days at Sheelin are fished
- Irish Ladies Fly Fishing Assoc catch beautiful wild brown trout at Loughanure
- Busy ‘put and take lake’ features in Total Flyfisher Magazine
Coarse angling reports
- Thumbs up for Melview Lodge
- Plenty of glassware for the Carrigallen Festival winners at Mitchell’s bar
- Great Dace fishing at Fermoy Autumn Festival 2016
- Great fishing for young Killinarden anglers at New Ross
Pike fishing reports
- Cracking 27lb pike for guide Kevin
- Successful competition for Fishmaniak at Carrick on Shannon
- Good pike fishing around Carrigallen area
- Ukraine win Predator Boat Fishing Championships
- 32lb 4oz beauty is a dream come true for Aiden
Sea angling reports
- Lots of species on offer as Irish Kayak Anglers team up in Cork
- Fine porbeagle, blues, ling and pollack for Courtmacsherry angling
- Looking for missed mojo in Kerry
- Bull huss and conger welcomes Kit back to the Wicklow coast
- Specimen bass from the East Coast
- October Bass on Lure and Fly
- Annsborough River: Cracked pipe caused chemical leak that killed fish – BBC News
- NI Anglers Concerned By Rise In Pollution & Poaching – Afloat.ie
- Angler Prosecuted For Illegal Fishing In Claregalway – Afloat.ie
- World Championships Predator Boat Fishing kicks off with parade this evening in Lanesboro/Ballyleague – Longford Leader
- Massive weekend of food and fishing in Lanesboro/Ballyleague – Longford Leader