Jack Frost made his presence felt earlier in the week to remind us that Winter is here. Although as the week wore on, the temperatures settled to milder conditions. A good hat or a Donald Trump wig kept the head warm and most anglers got a chance at some good fishing.
Around the country sea anglers went in search of the bars of silver and were pleased with the outcome. Cork Harbour had guide Richie Ryan with customers begging for more as they landed some lovely bass as well as cod, pollack and some large mackerel. Richie informs us that the fly fishing has been so good this year it’s not surprising that the interest in the sport is gaining momentum. Swinging back around to Duncormick in Co. Wexford, Sean Jordan reported some nice surface fishing with a client catching 4 bass up to 68cm in one evening. Woodstown beach held the Martin Halley memorial competition on Sunday. A good turnout on the day but the fish were not plentifully and the catches consisted mainly of flounder ranging from 10cm to 39cm and Bass from 28cm to 54cm plus some small whiting. Louth coastline was the spot chosen by a father and son team Stephen and Darragh Shields on Wednesday night and they recorded flounders plus 20 small whiting on lug and mackerel strip.
Right across the country in Donegal, Culdaff SAC had their Open Shore Competition on Saturday. Longest flat fish here was a 39cm flounder, while longest round was a 33cm coalie. Staying in Donegal, Graham Smyth had a lively porbeagle shark estimated to be about 145 to 150lbs at Malin Head in Donegal on Monday.
Shore anglers in Wexford can look forward to the Menapia Angling Clubs competition at Lacken, Duncormack this Sunday Nov 6th. Fishing is from 11am to 3pm. The following week sees the World Shore Angling Championships taking place from 12th to the 19th November. This prestigious event on the east and south coast of Wexford should see a great crowd.
In Dublin the Killinarden Angling Initiative kept up the great work with educating our young people about angling. This week saw Dave from Irish Kayak Angling giving demonstrations and the interest shown was amazing. Cashel angling club in Longford are having their Annual Pike Classic on Sunday Nov 6th at Newtowncashel. First prize is a 19ft Sheelin boat. New members welcome on the day. U18’s free. Also on Sunday the sixth independent qualifying competition of the 2016/17 National Pike Championships will be held near Lough Egish.
Lough Muckno hailed the 6th leg of Lithuanian fishing club in Ireland Go&Catch spinning league. Plenty of quality fish caught and released, the biggest coming in at 102.5cms for Yuri who is our ‘Catch of the Week’ winner. Muckno also saw the Irish Kayak Angling club competition recently. The challenge for the day was to catch, photo and release 2 pike, 1 perch and a roach with a Bream classed as the joker species for this meet. Ian Burton proved himself the winner this time.
It was a tough days fishing for the Romanian C & R Association at Bun Bridge on the river Erne. Good company but unfortunately few fish. One consolation is that the Romania team did however do well at the 9th World Championship Predator Boat Fishing Lures held recently at Lough Ree, Lanesborough/Ballyleague with 35 Pike on the first day. Overall winners were Ukraine.
Our Coarse anglers headed to Inniscarra, in Cork. A well run FEEDERFEST event by Tommy Lawton and his helpers drew anglers from far-fetched places to compete. There was a great buzz around Coachford and some fantastic memories for everyone. Steve Ringer was the well deserving winner with 52.010kg. followed by Neil Mazurek with 46.070kg. An open match is listed for Inniscarra on Saturday Nov 12th. This Sensas challenge is a float only event fished to FIPS-ed International rules. The winner earns the right to represent Ireland at the annual Sensas Challenge Final in France in 2017, fishing against some of the world’s top anglers.
The Knockaderry cup was on Monday last with a light wind and perfect conditions. Carrigavantry lake in Waterford looked stunning and reflected the autumn colours of nearby trees. Great catches for those competing including two cracking 5lbs trout which were safely released. Barry Healy charged ahead with an incredible bag of 25 fish which was well ahead of Dudley Murphy who with 18 fish would have expected to have caught enough to win any competition.
For the trout anglers this weekend there is a fly fishing competition on Saturday the 5th Nov at Ardaire Springs in Mooncoin, Co. Kilkenny . Start time is 10am and entry fee €40.
Inland Fisheries Ireland has launched a public consultation on the management of pike in designated wild brown trout fisheries. The Board of Inland Fisheries Ireland has decided to commence a review period of its policies on the management of Wild Brown Trout, Pike and Bass which were initially developed in 2014. A consultation process will now commence and will focus initially on pike management. Full details can be had on IFI/Public Consultations
Some fast approaching closing dates for the diary are;
- November 8th – The Inland Fisheries Ireland’s Capital Works Fund which aims to improve access for angling. – value of fund is €500,000. Details on www.fisheriesireland.ie/funding
- November 15th – Claim forms for the Irish Specimen Fish Committee. See more details at http://irish-trophy-fish.com/
The weather for the weekend is a hit and miss affair. Blustery winds but yet some good sunshine mingled with scattered showers. The outlook is for frost to develop in some inland areas as temperatures fall to between 0 and 4 degrees with light northerly breezes.
Stick on the hat and the life jacket and head fishing.
Safe fishing to all and tight lines, especially here in Ireland.
If you have an angling story to share with the Irish Angling Update please send it to [email protected].
Sea angling reports
- Culdaff SAC competition results from Sat Oct 29th
- Kayaker Graham Smyth has fun with lively 150lb shark
- Great nights fishing for father and son team in Louth
- Richie Dalton wins the Martin Halley competition at Woodstown
- Happy days, great fish and happy in-laws
- Bars of Silver from the east coast
- Totally hooked after a great fishing session with Richie
Pike fishing reports
- 102.5 cm pike for Lough Muckno winner
- Tough days fishing for the Romanian C & R club
- Muckno Kayak challenge saw a great turnout
- Team Ukraine take the title at the World Championship Predator Boat Fishing Lures
Coarse angling reports
- A heap of perch with great sport on the light gear
- Super win for Steve Ringer at Inniscarra FEEDERFEST event
Trout fishing reports
- A great Knockaderry Cup competition saw two 5lb trout among the many caught
- New comers and good fishing at Ardaire Springs Fishery
- Inland Fisheries Ireland prosecutes Cork Company for water pollution in Clonakilty River – The Cork.ie
- Erne and Paul are top of the class in coarse angling – Belfast telegraph
- NI Govt Portal Has ‘Transformed’ Fishing Permit Process – Afloat.ie
- Poaching Threat To Connemara Angling Tourism – Afloat.ie