The weather is still very changeable with heavy rain and strong winds on some days and sunshine on others. The rain has been more widespread this week and nearly all those fisheries which were suffering from low water have no more than enough. While the rain did not cause sea anglers too much trouble the wind have been over gale force on some coasts which is never welcomed by those hoping to get afloat. Overall this did not impact on the fishing too much with lots of good fishing reported nationwide.
For coarse anglers the Longford rivers and lakes were in flood but good bream and tench were regularly showing up in catches at Melview Lodge. The annual festival on the Grand Canal at Edenderry attracted nearly sixty anglers most from England and despite the poor weather all week, good bags were recorded. Up in Leitrim, there were great catches reported for anglers fishing with Brian Bohan. Nearly one hundred Dutch anglers and friends fished the annual Kings of Clubs competition on waters close to Drumshambo and Carrick on Shannon and they enjoyed a great week of excellent catches of mainly bream, roach and hybrids. Sixty six anglers competed in the Arva Seniors Classic 2012 and several ex world champions took part and the fishing was good and competitive. Down in Clare anglers staying at Clondanagh had some super bream catches including a fine bream catch of 125 lb. in one day.
There was fair pike fishing reported in the Lough Derg area but up in Foxford area some lovely fish were taken on fly in the Foxford area. Well known angling journalist Bob Roberts enjoyed good pike action in the Belturbet area. There was a Kingspan pike qualifier held on Lough Egish and many pike were recorded on the day. A superb pike over 35 lb. was caught twice in one week on Lough Corrib and returned alive and this is our Catch of the Week.
The higher water levels improved salmon fishing almost everywhere and there were some good catches on the fisheries in the Cork Kerry area. On Lough Currane, anglers had excellent fishing for salmon and sea trout and regular Dave Ecclestone caught a fine specimen sea trout of 9 lb. 2 oz on fly. Up on the River Moy, over 400 salmon were reported for the week and over in Carrowmore more salmon were recorded when the weather allowed the anglers to go afloat in the very windy week. There was also good salmon fishing reported from clients at Newport House fishing the river and on Lough Beltra. The fisheries in Connemara also produced better fishing at Kylemore, Delphi and at Inagh in particular. A 17 lb. fish was the best of the week at the Galway fishery. In Donegal, the Owenea and the Drowes are seeing a good run of grilse. In Cork, the Blackwater produced better fishing on all the major fisheries at Careysville, Fortwilliam, Blackwater Lodge and at Ballyvolane with the best fish reported coming from the Fishhunt beats and weighing 18.5 lb.
Sea anglers reported excellent sea fishing with some fine tope caught and tagged at Cahore and Courtown. As usual there was plenty of activity in the Cork harbour area with great fishing reported from small boats and also out deep sea fishing including a fine 4.2 lb. plaice. There was some fine deep sea fishing reported at Courtmacsherry for Dutch clients. Over in Beara, shore anglers enjoyed some excellent rock fishing for plenty of variety of fish. In Valentia, there was some deep sea fishing for parties of Scotch anglers. The 56th Westport International Sea Angling Festival 2012 takes place next week. Shore and boat anglers enjoyed good sport in the Sligo area. Up in Red Bay in Antrim there was many species encountered including some huge spurdogs. The bass season opens again on the 16th of June.
There is still quite a bit of trout fishing going on after the Mayfly period although there are still some falls of spent gnat producing good fishing on Lough Sheelin. Emy Lough is still fishing well for trout and nearby the River Fane is fishing well also. The other midland trout loughs continue to fish well and there was also good fishing on stretches of the River Inny. There were many rainbow fishery reports this week with good fishing at Pallas, Carton, the Southern County fishing resort and at the Cashel Trout Fishery in Derry.
Tight lines especially in Ireland,
Catch, Photo, Release
Coarse angling reports
- The fifth annual Lisnaskea Water Festival coarse fishing match takes place at the Roslea Lakes.
- Longford rivers and lakes in flood but good bream and tench showing
- Very good fishing for Dutch anglers fishing the annual King of Clubs competition in Co. Leitrim
- Plenty of fish caught on the Grand Canal by anglers fishing the annual festival at Edenderry despite the bad weather conditions.
- Bream and Hybrids in abundance for Brian Bohan
- 66 anglers compete in the Arva Seniors Classic 2012
- Persistence pays off for Peter
- Super bream catch of 125 lb. reported in an east Clare lake by a Cambridge angler.
Pike fishing reports
- Pike fishing is quiet in the Lough Derg area
- Pike on the fly in the Foxford area
- Olé, Olin, Olin, a pike in the net for Bob Roberts
- Lough Egish fishing well for Kingspan pike qualifiers
- Monster pike caught twice on Corrib!
- Roscommon Pike caught after a tough battle
Salmon fishing reports
- Report on the Cork Kerry salmon fisheries.
- Owenea fishes well for the first time this season
- The Grilse have landed! Four hundred fish reported for the week on the River Moy
- Ballisodare Fishery update
- Carrowmore Lake, before the storm!
- Good angling reported from Newport House
- 9 lb. 2 oz. specimen sea trout on fly for regular UK visitor is the biggest so far reported this year from Lough Currane.
- Good number of fresh grilse and larger fish reported on the Drowes
- Lough Inagh
- Salmon at Kylemore Abbey
- A 18.5lb Blackwater salmon landed on the upper beat
- 17lbs springer the pick of the bunch in Galway
- Two Early Salmon Taken on the River Fane
- A nice 11lb Salmon for Tralee angler on River Laune
- Salmon angling improves after the heavy rain at Delphi
- Some cracking salmon caught on the Drowes
- Allez la France, first salmon for French visitor at Delphi
- A 6lb salmon is the first fish after the flood on Munster Blackwater
Sea angling reports
- Very good deep sea fishing for a party of Dutch anglers at Courtmacsherry.
- 56th Westport International Sea Angling Festival 2012
- Tope fishing report from Cahore
- Back to Bass
- Killala Bay update
- Sligo shore angling
- From Mackerel to Wrasse on the Clare coast
- Father and son hook up with a blonde on Cork Harbour
- A crock of gold in fishing terms off the Sligo coast
- Specimen spurdogs head up the channel to Antrim coast
- 4.2 lb. Plaice wins May Ullcatch sea angling competition
- Mission accomplished for dutch brothers as they catch a variety of fish at Beara
- A Codling on one hook, a Whiting below and a huge Spurdog on the bottom!
- From bagpipes to fish while angling with Valentia Fishing
- Albino Sea Life Found Off West Coast
- Flounders galore !!
- Yellow tailed jellyworms lured the Pollack
- Catching Tope at Courtown
Trout fishing reports
- More great trout fishing reported from Lough Sheelin.
- Melvin trout fishing slow but Rossinver does well
- Moy Estuary update
- Pallas Lake and the Little Brosna and Camcor Rivers report
- Midland trout lough and River Inny report
- Good rainbow trout fishing at the Cashel Trout Fishery
- A hares ear with rubber legs fished it’s socks off at Carton House!
- Fly Fishing Competition at Southern County Fishing Resort
- Cusher performs as water drops
- Emy Anglers take to the Boats
- River Fane Produces Some Quality Wild Brown Trout
- Save Bantry Bay group accuse officials of ignoring facts – The Cork News
- New records and the world according to Chris Yates – Independent Angler
- Learn how to handle worst alien invaders – Londonderry Sentinel
- Why are our fish shrinking? From ocean giants in the Fifties to tiddlers today – Daily Mail
- IFI set salmon quota – Irish Times
- Asian clams breeding as water temperatures rise – help stop their spread
- Emy Anglers Receive Grant Aid from Monaghan County Council
- Young anglers enjoy the fun of fishing on Killarney Lakes
- SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT FUND GRANT SCHEME