Jay La Roche and his fishing companion David Muirin of East Coast Fishing Blog head off for a days fishing and tell us:

My car was in the garage and that put pay to any plans that I had for fishing that weekend. So I rang my good friend David to arrange an LRF and plans were made for me to get the train up to him and we could fish a few marks up his way.
Thursday night was spent going through gear and making sure that I had everything I would need for the next days session. I arose early on Friday and the weather couldn’t have been better so I took the short one hour train journey with my rod and gear (much to the amusement of some fellow passengers) up to David who kindly met me at the train station. We said our hello’s and decided to get straight into the fishing with a short trip to a local pier. We arrived at the mark and rigged up our gear, we both rigged standard jigheads with isomes and gulp and I drew first blood on the day with a stunning long spined scorpion fish.

Next up was David with a nice rock goby…

A short while later it was my turn for another couple of fish another rock goby and a first for me a goldsinney wrasse a species which has eluded me for quite some time. It went quiet then for an hour or so we put this down to the fact that a small diving bird a little auk I think had started working up and down the edges of the pier so we decided to make our move stop for a little bit of breakfast/lunch and make up our way to another mark that David wanted to try out.

We arrived at our new mark and began to fish I switched over from a jig head to dropshot and it made a marked difference with a nice corkwing falling to it almost first cast.

Then a nice Ballan.

David was also fishing dropshot after having no joy with a jighead was also picking up ballans and corwings….

It went on like this with ballans and corkwing a plenty for both of us.

Then David pulled out a nice little pouting which was a first for him on a lure and he was delighted with that. I then managed another Rock goby followed by a long spined scorpion.

I then managed my first ever Tompot Blenny yet another species that had evaded capture..

Both David and myself both got hit by a couple of trains which proved unstoppable one broke Davids line and the other spat the hook a shame but I suppose its the way it goes. I also managed a pouting of my own a first for me this year..
So by now we reckoned that we had fished enough on this mark and decided to move on to some rocks we had both being looking at earlier on in the day.

We fished the rocks with David drawing first blood with the biggest ballan of the day…

I was next with another fine ballan wrasse.. and we fished on with another good few corkwing and ballans coming to our lures.
A truly epic day with the evening fast approaching we decided that yet another change was in order but this time a move to fresh water.

To try for a species that David had caught but I had not we rigged up well rigged right down really I was using a japanese tenkara hook size 26 and the smallest piece of isome I could manage but it worked and I got my first ever freshwater minnow.

By now it was almost time for my train home and what better way to end the day than a nice cold beer and a good chat about the days fishing and what a day it was with over 70 fish between the two of us 8 species including new ones for both of us. It was truly a memorable days fishing and one that I wont
forget for a very long time.

So great craic was had by both of us and an epic days angling and plans were made for the future watch this space…..

Compliments of :
Jay La Roche,
Web: South East Lure Angling