Salmon anglers are reminded that from 1st September to the close of the season, there is a daily bag limit of one salmon (any size) or one sea trout (over 40 cm) on all open salmon fisheries which are not subject to catch and release only regulations. After the daily bag limit has been taken, anglers are permitted to fish catch and release, using single barbless hooks and anglers may not use worms. Fish should be handled carefully and should not be removed from the water prior to release to ensure the survival of fish.
There’s only one word to describe the salmon fishing this year in Connemara, and that is fantastic. Record-breaking might be another description, and this certainly applies to Lough Inagh, who have just smashed their previous record for salmon caught in a season, with several weeks left to go. Elsewhere, Ballynahinch, Erriff and Delphi all report excellent fishing and big improvements on previous years, with fresh fish coming in all the time. The heavy rain this week has brought big floods in all fisheries, and once the water settles fishing should be excellent for the next week. Anglers on the Moy were frustrated by low water levels and many rivers in the area were also low. In Donegal the Owenea fished well over the weekend when water levels rose again. While east coast rivers are still waiting for rain to change their fortunes the Suir and Munster Blackwater and a number of rivers in the Cork/Kerry area all saw a dramatic improvement following rain in their catchments.
We have a packed sea angling report this week with some really exciting fishing off the south west where albacore tuna were taken by Mike Dennehy and his regular crew. Mike seems to have got the timing of the fishery down to a fine art. There was a mix of good deep sea and inshore fishing in the Cork Harbour area over the last few days and best of luck to anglers fishing in the Cobh International Sea Angling Festival. Anglers are reminded that the 2011 Cork Small Boats Festival starts on the 23rd September and places are still available, see www.skuaangling.net for more information. Luke Aston, Skipper of the Clare Dragoon reports that last week they had fine weather and good fishing with everything from blue shark to cod caught. There was also good fishing reported from Clifden, Killala Bay and Red Bay where charter boat anglers enjoyed catching a wide range of species.
The windy conditions made for difficult fly fishing in the last week and anglers on Lough Sheelin found the fish difficult to get stuck into, though one angler did manage a lovely 8lb fish. The fishing on Corrib was described as reasonable and many are expecting September to fish well as the lake continues to cool. Loughs Conn and Cullen fished well despite the unfavourable conditions of late with rain and gusty winds. There have been good hatches of olives in the sheltered bays, particularly in northern Lough Conn.
Congratulations to the Garda Siochana Coarse Angling team who won gold in Holland at the 15th European Police championships. Back at home Cavan and Longford fished well for visiting and local coarse anglers but the weather made fishing difficult on occasion.
The cool weather suited pike anglers but the blustery conditions made lake fishing difficult at times. We have a couple of reports from Loughs Lene, and Derg and from Portumna. At the recent Kingspan Qualifier fished on Finn River near Clones fishing was poor and most fish caught were small. Pike anglers are also reminded that the European Pike Challenge begins on Monday the 19th Sept and continues on the 20th and 22nd on Lough Derg.
On Saturday the 22nd October Inland Fisheries Ireland will again be holding an introductory ladies fly fishing day in aid of Action Breast Cancer at Annamoe Trout Fishery near Glendalough in Co. Wicklow. These events are free, open to any lady and run from 10.30 to 16.00. For further details or to book yourself a place on the day please contact Mark.H.V.Corps (Angling Advisor) on 087 672 7194 or [email protected].
There will be a bit of rain tonight and Saturday will be a wet and windy day, with widespread showers which will be heavy at times in particular along the west coast. Southwesterly winds will increase to fresh to strong along the west coast, with some strong gusts at times. The outlook for Sunday and early next week is for lots of blustery wet weather.
Tight lines especially in Ireland,
Angling Information Officer.
Catch, Photo, Release.
email: [email protected]
This week’s headlines
Salmon fishing reports
- A relatively good week on Newport River
- Burrishoole salmon fishing report
- Good salmon fishing reported from the Owenmore River
- Low water levels impacting on good salmon fishing on the River Moy
- Monthly angling report from the Delphi Fishery
- The good season for salmon fishing continues on the River Erriff
- Very good salmon fishing reported from Lough Inagh
- Better week for sea trout fishing on Lough Currane including two fine specimen of over 10 lb
- Fair to good salmon fishing reported from the Cork and Kerry fisheries
- Salmon fishing on the Munster Blackwater improves
- Suir in perfect fly order
- Low water levels impacting on good salmon fishing on the River Fane
- Special Notice to all Salmon anglers for the month of September
- Good numbers of salmon caught on the Owenea
- Salmon fishing – all quiet on Lough Melvin
- River Drowes quiet but some grilse taken
Coarse angling reports
- Good coarse fishing reported from many parts of Cavan
- Dave Houghton reports on the King of Clubs event coming up in Arva area
- Superb Roach fishing along with good catches of bream and tench reported from the Longford area and Strokestown Loughs
- Good coarse fishing reported from the Portumna area
- Inniscarra festival results
- Big bream reported from Lough Ramor
- Irish team take gold at European Police Coarse Angling Championships
Trout fishing reports
- Good sonaghan fishing on Melvin last Sunday
- Good trout fishing reported from Loughs Conn and Cullin
- Trout fishing improving on Lough Corrib
- Some nice trout fishing reported from Lough Owel and Lough Ennell
- Brown trout to 8 lb. reported from Lough Sheelin
- Good accommodation offers for anglers Suir and Nore areas
- New rainbow trout fishery in Co. Carlow – Southern County Fishing Resort
- Sisters will be doing it for themselves at the ladies fly-fishing day!
- Fly fishing for trout in Dublin!
Sea angling reports
- Good deep sea fishing and a fine porbeagle by dutch anglers fishing out from Red Bay
- Good tope fishing along with good deep sea fishing reported from Carlingford Lough
- Good shore fishing reported from Benone shore in Co Derry
- Wonderful pollack fishing on fly and good deep sea fishing reported from Killala and Portacloy in Co. Mayo.
- Good deep sea fishing including a blonde ray of 20 lb. reported from Clifden
- Good deep sea fishing including blue shark for anglers fishing out from Loop Head
- Wonderful Albacore Tuna trip out from Kerry
- Rebecca catches her first bass in Cork Harbour
- Good deep sea fishing for the Interagency sea angling challenge held at Cobh
- September outlook for east coast bass