10 October: If Lough Sheelin was a runner you would describe it this week as giving a ‘finishing kick’.
The lake fished exceptionally well over the past number of days giving its anglers some good memories to tide them over the fast approaching winter months before the season opens again in March.
There was a lot of movement of trout providing anglers with plenty of sport but fish weren’t easily caught as our trout appear to have other things on their minds and would hook and jump and run, they were aggressive and not hungry probably due to the fact that we are now approaching spawning time and the Sheelin trout have perhaps rivers on their minds and so are restless and distracted.
Despite this there were some superb catches of beautiful wild trout the sight of which would captivate and uplift even the most cynical fisherman’s heart.
The Cavan/Monaghan Garda Divisional Fly Fishing Competition and Open Competition was held on the lake on Saturday October 8th and attracted 108 anglers with 19 fish being weighed in. Weather conditions were very suitable leading it to be the most successful year for this competition with a number of fish weighing in at 5lbs, 4lbs and 3lbs.
Dessie McEntee Cavan won the Garda section with his beautiful trout of 6lbs 13oz caught on a cock robin with the visitors section being won by Tony Graham, Dublin with a trout of almost 5lbs.
Other weights were Eamon McCormack, Dublin with a fish of over 4lbs, Danny Brady, Cavan with a trout of 4lbs 5ozs, Ronnie Law from Northern Ireland with a 4lbs 9oz trout and Jim Brannon, Dublin and Thomas Lynch, Cavan both with trout @ 3lbs 6ozs and 3lbs 14ozs.
On Sunday October 9th The Kells Anglers held a club competition on the lake, 16 anglers took part with 9 fish being caught. The winners of this competition were
- 1st Gerry Morgan, Kells with a 1 lbs 10 oz trout
- 2nd Pa Tormey, Kells with a 1 lbs 7 oz trout.
The L.S.T.P.A will be running fly tying classes at Lough Sheelin starting in October for young anglers from 10 yrs upwards. Anyone interested should contact Thomas Lynch at 087 9132033 (after 6pm).
66 catches were recorded for the week.
Some returns are:
- Paul Kavanagh, Gorey – on Sunday October 9th on a silver & claret fly at Wilson’s pt, one trout at 3lbs. Paul is normally a river fisherman so he was very pleased with his catch so we may a conversion here for next season!
- Michael Kelly, Dublin – Thursday October 6th five trout, best was 3lbs, averaged 1½ – 2½ lbs, Michael caught these fish around Holywell in the flat calm. Friday October 7th, two fish at 2 lbs and 1½ lbs caught using a stimulator. Saturday October 8th, four fish averaged 1 – 1¾ lbs, fish were caught on stimulators, daddys and sedges.
- Ned Clinton, Cavan – on Saturday October 8th one trout at 1½ lbs using a stimulator.
- Martin O’Connor, Kells – 6 trout ranging from 2½ – 5½ lbs, fish were caught on a green bodied Daddy Long Legs around Stoney and Goreport.
- Andrew Browne – 2 trout at 1½ lbs on Friday October 7th.
Lough Sheelin Stores
Email: [email protected]