Catch and Release for 2023
- Salmon: 1 April to 30 September
- Sea trout: 1 June to 30 September (All sea trout must be released alive)
- Use of any fish hooks, other than single or double barbless hooks is prohibited.
- Use of worms as bait in angling for all species of fish is prohibited.
The Owenwee, or Belclare River, is a short spate river draining the slopes of Croagh Patrick, the holy mountain, on the shores of Clew Bay. The best fishing is in the last 3km before it reaches the sea. Fishing is by permit only. Permits are available from Gannon’s Garage, Belclare. The fishing is owned by the Bourke Family, and Tom Bourke is available to guide visiting anglers.
There are runs of salmon and sea trout into the Owenwee from June onwards, with the best of the fishing in July and August following a spate. Spring tides also bring fresh fish into the lower reaches, even in low water.
The Owenwee River is currently not meeting its conservation limit, and consequently salmon angling is strictly on a catch-and-release basis.
The river gets a small run of sea trout throughout the summer, averaging 0.5lbs. Current legislation requires that all sea trout are released alive.
- Salmon: 1 February to 30 September
- Sea trout: 1 June to 30 September
Tel: +353 (0)86 8331586
Fax: +353 (0)98 27103
Email: [email protected]