Minister Ryan established the Angling Consultative Council of Ireland (ACCI) in November 2020. The overall objective of this Council is to put a formal process and structure in place to harness those representative bodies that are willing to productively contribute to the sport of angling and to support cooperation across its component disciplines. The current members of ACCI, as agreed by the Minister, are as follows:
The Council has been working since its foundation. Following an election among its members, ACCI is chaired by Mr Martin McEnroe and the Vice Chair is Mr Joe Birney. The Department of the Environment, Climate & Communications (DECC) (at Senior Official level) will co-chair meetings with DECC and Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI).
Participation is open to all national angling representative bodies. Expressions of interest have been received from a further two bodies and their participation will be finalised shortly to facilitate their inclusion at the next Council meeting. Other national bodies are welcome to join and should contact the Department by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants are required to adhere to the Sport Ireland governance standards and criteria, the agreed Terms of Reference, and Code of Conduct which are supported by the Minister.
The Minister’s intention is that the Council will:
- be the channel for orderly, progressive and constructive engagement on significant policy issues with IFI in the first instance and also, Senior Officials in the Department and the Minister;
- be a significant conduit for access to organisation-related funding, particularly sponsorship and supports for youth development, social inclusion, training and development and governance;
- embrace and operate to the highest standards of sports governance (those of Sport Ireland); and
- be a key mechanism for angling stakeholder input into the development of a new policy statement for the Inland Fisheries Sector.
Vice-Chair elected from among ACCI Members every 2 years.
Chair and Vice-Chair positions cannot be held simultaneously within one angling discipline (Coarse, Game, Pike, Sea).
- Each participating body shall nominate one representative (and one alternate).
- Only one nominated representative per organisation to attend each meeting.
- The Chairperson shall approve the agenda for each meeting.
- Decisions will be by majority vote.
- In the event of a tied vote, the Chairperson will have the casting vote.
Terms of Reference For a National Consultative Angling Group
Angling Consultative Council of Ireland (ACCI) – Code of Conduct