If you think the weather has been miserable and changeable you’re on the money. In the last week its been colder than normal, wetter than normal and strangely sunnier than normal. And there’s been the odd storm too. There is plenty of flooding out there now. Rainfall to over 64mm was recorded at Claremorris and there’s more to come with over 40mm expected in the south west. Good weather for ducks…
Before the worst of the rain there were some good reports coming in from the coarse anglers. The River Bann fished very well at the start of the month with nets of fish to 24kg reported in the Bann Anglers winter league. The winter leagues are a great excuse to get anglers out over the colder months and we have reports in from O’Briensbridge in Co. Clare, Lough Muckno in Monaghan, Lough Erne in Fermanagh and Oaklands in Waterford.
There’s no shortage of pleasure anglers out there in the piking world, but many pike clubs hold competitions too and we have reports in from the Midlands, Galway and Cavan. There were a few different reports in from the Midlands and Cavan and some good fish in them, but it was Brendan Jervis’s pike from Cavan that caught the eye. Fishing with Newbridge Pike and District Anglers at the weekend Brendan had a lovely 21lb pike. This fine fish wins Catch of the Week.
In sea angling news we have a small bit of shore fishing to report. We’re hearing a little bit of cod around Cork Harbour and Waterford and the usual fishing on the east coast. In the south east though, Menapia anglers had some great flounder fishing in their competition at the weekend. Staying with sea angling, Kit Dunne held his annual awards at the weekend and it was a great night with loads of prizes given out. Well done to all the winners there.
At this time of year many fly anglers take to the rainbow trout fisheries and venues like Annamoe, Rathcon, Ardaire Springs, Southern County and Laois Angling Centre to name but a few are reporting some great fishing recently. We have a list of put and take fisheries if anyone needs a fly fishing fix…
Finally, on the angling front, we have the salmon licence shop up and running and ready for your orders, though be advised, with Christmas postage you would be better going to one of our offices or your local distributor to be sure of getting a licence in time for Christmas morning… In other salmon news recent research has discovered which way east coast smolts migrate to their feeding grounds – they swim north and hurry along on the way. If you want a little more salmon data then have a look at the recently published 2018 catch statistics.
Wandering around the web this week we found a few gift idea’s for anglers who’ve been good boys and girls. Vouchers from guides, fisheries and charter boats – find out more here.
Answer the question!
IFI is a partner in the DiadES project – https://diades.eu/ – looking at the value of migratory fish species in Western Europe to local communities and anglers alike. As part of the project we want to hear about your experiences fishing for shad in Ireland – to learn more about the project and to participate in the DiaDES shad survey, please click here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DIADESShadSurvey
All participants in the survey will be in with a chance of winning one of three €50 vouchers for fishing equipment.
Inland Fisheries Ireland is keen to encourage more people of all ages to discover and enjoy fishing. As a result, the organisation is looking to gather the views of the public around fishing via an online survey. The findings of the survey will help inform a Novice Angler Strategy which will aim to increase angling participation across all types of angling.
The questionnaire is easy to complete and will take approximately 15 minutes. All participants in the survey will be in with a chance of winning one of three €50 vouchers for fishing equipment.
You can participate in the survey by visiting the following link: www.fisheriesireland.ie/nas
And now the Weather…
Friday will start cold and mostly dry with frost clearing. Foggy too and this might be slower to clear. Dry in many areas, some scattered showers also, these primarily affecting coastal districts of the south and west. The weekend will be chilly with some showers and then early next week looks like being blustery. Iit looks, at the moment, like dry, chilly and settled weather for Christmas though Met Eireann are saying it’s hard to predict right now. With a bit of luck you’ll have plenty of new fishing gear to unpack so it won’t matter to you one way or the other!
Safe fishing to all this weekend and tight lines, especially here in Ireland.
Catch, Photo, Release
If you have an angling story to share with the Irish Angling Update please send it to [email protected].
All the angling news
Coarse Angling Reports
- Some good fishing at Oaklands even as conditions turn cold
- Wayne wins latest leg of Erne Anglers winter league
- Jacek wins 3rd round of CM Lakelands winter feeder league
- Some good fishing at O’Briensbridge for Munster Coarse anglers
- Bo Donaldson wins Match 5 of Bann winter league with 24kg
- Jacek and Dave joint first in second round of CM Lakelands Winter League
- Paul wins round 3 of the Munster Anglers Winter League
- Mary Tigwell wins second round of Sheemore Winter League
- Brian Huthwaite wins round 4 of Erne Anglers Winter League
Pike Fishing Reports
- Pike to 21lb 07oz for Newbridge Anglers in Co. Cavan
- Gale Force Crew’s Gearóid Catches Christmas Pike
- Good winter pike fishing for Northern Ireland anglers
- Christy Cox wins Weir Cup on Derravaragh
- Cracking pike in mint condition from midlands venues
- Joe and Pat win Midland Pike Anglers Boat Competition
- Newry Pike Anglers are All Ireland Inter Club Champions 2019
- Good pike fishing in Clare – an anglers paradise
Sea Angling Reports
- Cracking flounder for Menapia Anglers at Duncannon
- Wicklow Boat Charters Customer Awards 2019
- Shad anglers – DiadES project wants your help
Trout Fishing Reports
- Christmas gift ideas and stocking fillers for anglers who been good boys and girls
- Lough Lene Angling Association raises €8,350 for Irish Cancer Society
- Shad anglers – DiadES project wants your help
- Job Opportunities at Inland Fisheries Ireland
- State Fisheries Tender Process 2020
- Preventable poor water quality impacts our fisheries resource, say Inland Fisheries Ireland
- Give your views and help more people discover fishing